Orlando Child Custody Modification Attorney

Circumstances change. Especially in this economy and especially after a divorce, change happens rapidly. One day, you may have a stable job providing a steady income. The next day, your job is one of the economy's casualties. Nix Law, P.A., can help you request modifications in your child support and alimony obligations that more realistically reflect your ability to honor them.

Child Support Can Be Modified

With the help of an attorney, you can ask the court to reduce, increase, suspend or stop child support payments if there has been a "substantial change" in your circumstances – you lost a job, your salary decreased or increased, there's been a dramatic increase in expenses, or your time-sharing or custody arrangement has changed, for instance. Under new child support laws, if your child is with you overnight 20 percent or more of the time, you may qualify for reduced child support.


Alimony is determined primarily based on "need" and "ability to pay." The judge takes into consideration a number of other factors, as well. When you lose a job or have a significant decrease in salary, if you become ill for a prolonged period of time, or if your ex remarries or is cohabitating with another partner — these are some of the changes that may merit a corresponding change in the amount of alimony you pay.

Time-Sharing Agreements

Time-sharing arrangements can be modified when there is a substantial change in circumstances and the requested modification is in the best interests of the children. When one parent must relocate or move to follow a job, for instance, more creative time-sharing arrangements can be made; rather than a traditional arrangement, you might want to block out times like summers and vacations.

Florida law also provides that when a parent refuses to honor the time-sharing schedule, the other party may seek modification, in addition to other remedies.

Contact An Orlando Child Custody Modification Lawyer

In any request to make modifications to child support, alimony or time-sharing agreements, Nix Law, P.A., can dramatically increase your odds of obtaining a favorable outcome. Call us at 407-674-0849 to arrange a free consultation or contact us online.