Nix Law, P.A.
Nix Law, P.A. Orlando Family Law For Men
Make Your Next Step The Right One
Call 407-674-0849
To speak with attorney Mikaela Nix.
Call or Email Today! email

The judge got it wrong. What can I do?

For a person going through a divorce or a child custody dispute, it can be frustrating to have the judge decide his or her future. It can be even more frustrating when you think the judge made the wrong decision.

If you think your judge got it wrong, you may be able to file an appeal. Your first step is to discuss your case with an appellate law attorney. Not all attorneys who practice in the area of family law handle appeals.

Here are some examples of issues that can give rise to an appeal:

  • The judge used wrong financial information make a decision about support or property division
  • The judge used a wrong valuation of a business or other asset
  • The judge misapplied or failed to follow Florida law
  • The judge made a decision that is unreasonable based on the evidence

If you want to appeal a family court decision, you must file a notice of appeal within 30 days of the date the judge issued the final order. After 30 days, you give up your right to file an appeal. While your appeal is in process, you must follow the final court order or you could be charged with contempt of court.

Your lawyer will review the transcript of the trial, file a written brief explain the basis of the appeal, and present oral arguments why the judge's decision was wrong. The appeals judge can affirm the original judge's order, reverse it or order a new trial.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Like Us And Share On Facebook

Watch Our Video

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Nix Law, P.A. Orlando Family Law For Men

Nix Law, P.A.
111 Granada Court
Orlando, FL 32803

Phone: 407-674-0849
Fax: 407-429-3890
Orlando Law Office Map